Sunday, May 9, 2010

23Things Summary (#23)

Let me reflect on the questions posed on this blogspot guideline:

1- Favorite discoveries: for a baby-boomer, this has been a refreshing and rejuvenating journey through cyber world, the web. 2.0 and the new technological toolkits. I have rediscovered a process of learning the new way, through on-line tutorials. My favorite exercize has been U-tube, and as advertised, it is a discovery tool that is to be shared with others. The sharing part and reactions from others (eg, colleagues, husband, family and friends) lead to the real learning.

2- Lifetime learning goals: for me it is how to serve the public in the most professional and efficient way. Some of the best tools include the google applications, flicker, the library THING, and those just recently available on the iPad. My efficiency is increased using these tools, and social networking with my colleagues about the application of these tools.

3- Unexpected outcomes: there are so many things I didn’t know, and that may be easier for the younger generations, but that I can now proudly say I do know (and impress young people as being cool!). I feel like a graduate student all over again, motivated to stay up late nights and work on weekends to overcome frustrations and meet learning goals. Finally, a great sense of satisfaction to have completed the 23 things.

4- Improving the program: I learn better in a more socially interactive way and from other colleagues also, combining self-learning with discussion of key concepts and methods. So some classroom questions and answers, with backup on-line technical support, would be an improvement.

5- Participation in another discovery program: given the increased stress at work and reductions in staff, I would need to be given time off to participate.

6- Summarize a successful learning experience: learning is a lifetime process, and keeps the brain and emotions healthy. Discovering and accessing the many web-based tools is necessary for being a good public servant now, but not sufficient unless transferred into knowledge and understanding to pass onto others. That is what I am striving for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment