Sunday, April 18, 2010

Project GUTENBERG (#22)

Project Gutenberg is a webpage that has free eBooks and audiobooks. The free books are mainly classic books that have been released into the public domain, such as Don Quixote and The Count of Monte Cristo. The ebooks are a bit odd to read since it's just text on the webpage.

Audio Books
One of the the audiobooks I downloaded to my MP3 is Somebody's Luggage by Charles Dickens which I ran into have been a non-human reader and sounds very robotic. Still, the resource is good to look audio books online if you can't access a physical copy at a library.
The other title I downloaded to my MP3The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. This title was human read , as opposed to Dickens computer-generated audio.>

Project Gutenberg began offering Audio eBooks on September 2003
Titles are available in non human-generated and human voice formats. The computer-generated voice audioBook list is no longer being expanded Human-read titles are still being added. multiple sites as well as mirror sites.

Net Library and Overdrive
I have used both Network Library and Overdrive audio books for some time now. I am very familiar with these 2 databases for quite sometime. We are continously being asked by patrons on how to use these two databases. My colleague made a "How To Download Audiobooks" flyer to help patrons but unfortunately it is too complex.
I use the downloaded books to an MP3 and listened to audio while I am driving to work or doing some gardening. I like the Overdrive more than the Net Library because it is easier to download the titles to an MP3.

No comments:

Post a Comment